Sunday, March 04, 2007

Solemn day

Yesterday my good friend and neighbor lost her mother. She was on a flight and her mother passed away before she could make it there. This has really made me reflect on my own mothers' passing 14 yrs. ago. Last week at our Stake Women's conference Living Legends from BYU came to perform for us. It was beautiful. When they sang a song in Maori, I started to have a real longing for my mother. So now, having my friends mom die, brings it even closer to home. I miss her. My heart is aching for my friend because I know what she is going through. I guess you would call that emphathy instead of sympathy. And while I'm glad for this compassion that can only come from experiencing it, I miss her. I was at a mall the other day eating lunch with my 5 yo, and I saw all these mothers eating lunch and shopping with their own daughters and grandkids in tow. I felt lonely and lost. I don't know why it is hitting me so hard this week. Every now and then it hits me, like it will for the rest of my life. It is only a reminder of what a wonderful person she was. I miss her because I love her. I know that through the gospel of Jesus Christ, there is hope through the sorrow. I will see her again. I can go on because of that hope.

~My mother 20 months before she died~she adored her grandkids!

Some of the wonderful qualities she had were:
~Compassion
~A kind heart
~Courage through her illness

What do you admire about your mother?

7 comments:

Kari said...

Oh Leah!

(((HUGS))) I'm sorry this is such a rough time right now. Probably bittersweet. And that is too bad for your friend losing her Mom too and she was so close to seeing her alive one last time.

Your Mom is so beautiful! And if she's anything like you (and it sounds like she was, since you have some of her same gifts) I KNOW she was beautiful on the inside too!!

Lots of love!

Victoria said...

Hugs Leah, I cannot imagine the loss, I'm sorry.

I love the picture of your Mom, if you scroll just a little down you can see both of you and you look so much like her, both so beautiful!

Hugs to your friend too, so sorry.

Denise said...

Leah, you look like her! That's a great picture. This is a lovely tribute to your mom.

Angela said...

{{hugs}} Leah. What a beautiful mother you had. She is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing a little bit about her. She sure raised a sweet daughter!

Lisa said...

Your mother was so beautiful! I bet she was wonderful!

Kylie said...

Leah, she is just adorable. ((HUGS)) I wish there were words to say that would help. However, I can only say that I am thinking of you and sorry you are a little sad right now.

Heidi said...

I see her loving bubbly personality through her picture! She looks like an awesome person! With a very happy countenance! I have only a few pictures of my mom with the kids...I'll have to take more if I ever see her again! Thanks for the reminder of how short life is and how precious a mom is! I don't think moms are as important when they're living until they go away - then you realize how much you really appreciate them...at least for me.