Monday, September 11, 2006

It depends on how you look at it

I have a tendency to make things bigger that they really are. Some would call it blowing things out of proportion. Making a mountain out of a mole hill. You get the point. My friend gave me the analogy of holding my opened hand up to my nose. When I did this, all I could see was my hand. Then he told me to pull my hand back until my arm was straight. I could still see my hand, but it was smaller. And I could see other things too. I'm just a bit too good at holding my hand to my face. When I have a problem, that's all I see. When in reality, the problem really isn't so big it can't be solved. And there is still plenty of enjoyment in life to help us through the trial. The problem is there, that's the fact. But, it is not the only thing in my life. I have so many blessings, that when I hold my hand (ie. problem) up to my nose, I forget to be grateful. I neglect all the good I really do have in my life. I forget that God gave me a brain to problem solve. I am using my brain to freak out. What a waste of good brain.

Another analogy I love,is looking at the glass half full instead of half empty. I refer to this often in my mind because I am trying to learn that trials are only part of our lives. I am me because of what I have learned from my trials, but also what I have learned from being a human being, working, loving, being faithful, being obedient, being a wife, companion, mother, daughter, sister, and friend. All of these shape who I am.

"The only difference between stepping stones and stumbling blocks is the way you use them."

No comments: