Monday, October 09, 2006

Creatures of habit

I am definitely a creature of habit. I follow the same routine every morning: wake up, do the potty thing, put on the deoderant, brush my teeth, and take my medicine with two glasses of water. Then I wake up the kids and procede to the other bathroom to put on makeup and do my hair. When a shower is needed, I do that after the potty thing, and go right back to the same routine. Most mornings I don't have to even think about it unless I get up late. Then all heck breaks loose, and my mind seems to forget there is even such a thing as habit or routine. But, that is a whole other story.

Back to the point: Yesterday at church, and we have a routine for that one too, we walk in the normal 20 min. early to get our usual bench. The one we've had for almost 10 years. The bench that should have our family name ingraved on it. The one with ancient crumbs left over from when our 5 yo was going through the snack stage. Our bench. I know, not technically ours, but I'm parital to it. Partial to the habit of having my nice comfortable bench. Maybe I'm a bit OCD, but I like my bench! Again, to the point: My kids walked in to put their books on the bench to save it, because I was in the Library and my dh was doing Ward Clerk stuff. They left to go potty and get drinks, and when they came back someone was sitting on our bench. The one we saved. The one we always sit on. Now is the part that could be considered humorous...they come running out to me and say, "Mom, someone is sitting in our spot!" It just hit me that I'm not the only one that is partial to our bench! I felt the only thing that I could feel at that point: "Someone is sitting on our bench!" I was in shock. Even more humorous was the fact that other ward members made comments about us not getting our bench as we walked back to the overflow section to sit. Feeling dejected, as well as worrying about whose spot we were taking, another ward member comes up and says, "They left your spot, you can go sit there now." What? We can go sit on our bench? Really? What just happened? I don't know. Maybe the gal saw her friends and decided to go sit by them, but the warm feeling of going back to my comfortable spot was just enough to bring a smile to my face.

Silly? Yes. But think about it next time someone makes you change spots. We are all creatures of habit in some way.

No comments: