Monday, January 08, 2007

Fear...

I started a new class today. Conducting. I'm excited and terrified. Standing up in front of a group of people who are looking to you to direct them can be quite intimidating. At least I think so. This is my first real experience. Now, I have directed music for Young Women's, and primary, and Relief Society. But never in Sacrament meeting. Never a choir. I can't even comprehend it. But it's coming. This class will push me into it. My teacher is the conductor in our ward. He is very good at what he does. Why I write this, is because he said something very profound today...

Fear is good, because it means you are in a growth experience. Let the fear push you to learn and grow.

My first reaction is, 99% of the time, when I'm faced with fear, I want to run. Run fast, run far, run away. This statement has made me rethink that strategy.

Example: I knew I needed to go back to school. I had received inspiration, and support from my family. If I would've given in to my fear, I wouldn't be back right now. I'd be sitting home in the wish mode. Wishing is thinking, but not doing. I want to be a doer, not a wisher.

So, fear will drive me to be uncomfortable, standing up in front of people I don't know (yet) in my class, to be judged and analyzed as I learn a new aspect of music. I will let my fear drive me to success.

Oh, I'm scared!

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Your going to do great Leah! I am proud of you!