Monday, January 29, 2007

My opposite birthday

Yesterday I turned 42. I thought about the things that were happening when I was 24 and here is what I came up with:

The year was 1989
I was much younger
No grey hairs on my head
Not a wrinkle in sight
I was a mother of 1
I was 6 mos. pregnant with #2
I had been married for 2 1/2 yrs to the love of my life
I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment that cost $250 a month rent
We owned a brown Toyota Celica
I was a stay at home mom
My dh was a recent graduate of BYU and working as a Produce manager

Best song that won the Grammy was "Wind Beneath my Wings"
"Rain Man" won the Oscar
CMA's entertainer of the year was George Strait
LA Law was the outstanding television drama series

The Berlin wall was open to the west after 28 yrs.
George Bush was inaugurated the 41st president of the US
cost of a first class stamp was 25 cents.

Now in the year 2007:
I am much older
Plenty of grey hairs on my head, but I haven't broken down YET to color my hair
Plenty of wrinkles
Mother of 7
No more pregnancies for me
Married for 20 1/2 years to the same love of my life
I live in a 4 bedroom, 18oo sf home, that cost more than 3X's the rent I use to pay
We drive a 1990 Chevy 9 pass. Suburban
I am a stay at home mom still and going back to school to get my degree. Wow!
My dh changed careers and now works for the state. But, still works in the produce dept., at the same grocery store, as a part timer.

I don't watch and keep up with entertainment much anymore, but George Bush Jr. is now president and a first class stamp now costs 39 cents.

As I look in the mirror I see plenty of change.

As I look at the world, I see even more change. Computers, cell phones, internet, Credit cards galore, more wickedness and despair than I even thought possible 18 yrs. ago.

As I look at my growth I see the biggest change of all. I have more faith, more hope, more love, more blessings, more friends, more knowledge, and more to look forward to.

So, here's to another year of growth and change.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I really enjoyed reading that Leah, thanks! Happy Birthday!! May the next 42 be the greatest yet!

Denise said...

Great post, Leah. It's always interesting to see how things have changed during our lives, some for the good, some for the bad, and some simply different. I, too, am holding off on the hair color, but it's hitting critical mass, lol!