Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I have a friend who is a Psychologist (Dr. Paul) and he sends out a weekly ezine in my email. I love everything he has to say, but some things hit me like a ton of bricks. Like today. This is what he sent:

"Robert Kiyosaki in his book, Before You Quit Your Job, gave this advice regarding mistakes: So every time you make a mistake, stop, and take the opportunity to learn something new, something you obviously need to learn. When something does not go your way, or something goes wrong, or you fail, take the time to think. Once you find the hidden lesson you will be thankful for the mistake. If you are upset, angry, ashamed, blaming someone else for the mistake, or pretending you haven't made a mistake, you haven't been thinking hard enough. Your mental capacity hasn't expanded enough. you haven't learned the lesson. So keep thinking. (p. 37)"

This goes along with what my therapist said: "Our trials are the schoolmasters of our lives. Let them teach you."

Since going back to school I have had to learn this important lesson even more than ever. It has really helped me understand that nothing is perfect in this life. I can't make every assignment perfect. I will make mistakes. And instead of downing myself, I can look upward to my Heavenly Father for help and understanding as to how my failures, and trials for that matter, can make "weak things become strong." (Ether 12:27)

There is a lesson to be learned around every corner of life and I am determined to graduate this life with plenty of knowledge and a "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I really like this Leah, thank you. I try really hard to live my life like this, to learn and grow from my trials. I always try to look at them as blessings, even the hardest ones. Each one brings me closer to Heavenly Father, I really lean on him and need him every hour.

Kari said...

I LOVE this post! It is a GREAT reminder!! There are lessons to be learned from every trial. They make us stronger, better!

I always try to remind myself that if it wasn't "this" trial it could always be something worse!!!

And then I usually decide I'll take "this" trial and be thankful for it!! LOL