Monday, July 17, 2006

Can gratitude change our lives?

One of things that has most affected my life is playing the victim role. I've spent way too much time in the "Life is not fair" mode. Most of my life in fact. Well, since seeking counseling, I have learned a new way of thinking. A way of thinking that tells me life is fair, life is good, I am NOT a victim.

Reminds me of the analogy of driving the car to a certain destination. Lets say I want to go to Salt Lake City, but I miss the exit and end up in Bountiful. I could choose to gripe, complain, and blame many things for my circumstance. But...if I would just take the time to look down and see whose hands are on the steering wheel then I could realize that I am the driver. My hands are on the steering wheel. I can turn around and go back and still get to Salt Lake, or I could go into Bountiful and see all the many great things to see there. It's my choice. My decision.

So it is with gratitude. I can choose to look at all the things I live without, or I can wake up every day and give thanks to my Father in Heaven for all he has given me. I am truly blessed. I have seen more happiness, more contentment, and more peace with this attitude.

I do still find myself thinking "why me?" every now and then. You can't change 40 yrs of thinking one way in one day. It takes time, but it's worth it. I am a much better person this way. I find myself enjoying many more things in life with gratitude as my friend. I'm learning to ask myself "What can I do about it?" instead of "Why me?" I have been a much more productive person this way. A much better wife, mother, and friend.


Choose to Love...rather than hate.
Choose to laugh...rather than cry.
Choose to create...rather than destroy.
Choose to persevere...rather than quit.
Choose to praise...rather than gossip.
Choose to heal...rather than wound.
Choose to give...rather than steal.
Choose to act...rather than procrastinate.
Choose to pray...rather than curse.
Choose to live ...rather than die.
Og Mandino
"Choose the light of the Lord.
Choose to seek knowledge.
Choose the light of love in your life.
Choose to live by the light of the Spirit."
Joseph B Wirthlin

No comments: