Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Knowledge is power

April 28, 1842
Nauvoo, Illinois
Joseph Smith

"We are all responsible to God
for the manner we improve the light and wisdom
given by our Lord to enable us to save ourselves."

Going to counseling has been one of the best educations I have received to date. Marriage and motherhood would be my other two. I feel like I should have a diploma for all the hard work I have done. But I have something better than a diploma...the improvement in my life. It is living proof that I have gained an important education. Who does not want to better themselves? Who does not want to improve their circumstance mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually?

5 yrs. ago I was miserable. I didn't want improvement, I wanted to die. I had all the good that life can offer, yet I felt nothing. Nothing but dread, misery, unhappiness. However you put it, I had hit rock bottom. Life brought no joy. I gave up trying to find it.

Heavenly Father had a better plan for me. I knew it. He did not forsake me. I was led to a kind and loving counselor who got me started on the path to LIFE. I had been blessed with a husband who loved me and stuck by me no matter how miserable I was. And believe me, I shared plenty of miserable with him.

So why was I given another chance at life? Because I prayed. Quite fervently in fact. I had lost my fervor for life, but I had one last plea left in me and I used it. I am told that Heavenly Father will not give us more than we can handle. This life experience is proof of that. I would've preferred not to hit rock bottom, but my ascent to the top was a lesson I wouldn't pass up for all the happiness in the world.

No comments: